A 35-year-old man working for the Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Commission (T&TEC) was killed yesterday after boulders and dirt fell on him as he was laying underground ducts at Wrightson Road, Port of Spain.
Another worker attached to a contractor working for T&TEC was injured when…
Added by Carlstien on January 10, 2012 at 1:08 —
Father of 4 crushed to death
Newsday By STACY MOORE Wednesday, November 23 2011
Chandradath Ramsaroop, 55, of Sewlal Trace, Fyzabad died instantly after the wheel of a trailer truck rolled over his head. Ramsaroop was employed with the Inland and Offshore Company Ltd (IOCL) located at South Oroupouche. According to reports, the incident occurred shortly after midday. Reports said Ramsaroop was in the process of securing pipes on a truck when he fell off, landed on the ground and… Continue
Added by Carlstien on November 23, 2011 at 21:52 —
Health & Safety supervisor killed by accident at company
By STACY MOORE Newsday Wednesday, December 1 2010
GRIEF: Shelly Ramjohnsingh, is being assisted by relatives after she collapsed at the front of the Accident and Emergency Department of the San Fernan...
A Health and Safety supervisor with 35 years service at the steel and wire company, Trinco, met an untimely death yesterday while on duty at the company at Reform Village, near Williamsville.
Added by Carlstien on December 2, 2010 at 21:44 —
Queens contractor busted for selling bogus safety certificates
BY Brian Kates
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Friday, June 25th 2010, 4:00 AM
* Brooklyn warehouse worker Yuquan Chen crushed to death by falling granite slabs
A Queens contractor was busted Thursday for selling dozens of bogus safety certificates needed by hardhats to work on most construction projects, prosecutors said.
Junior Lewis, owner of Jule… Continue
Added by Carlstien on July 4, 2010 at 0:14 —
Newsday By RHONDOR DOWLAT Friday, January 8 2010
PAPER MILL: The plant of Trinidad Tissues Limited in Malabar, Arima, where operator Anand Parag lost his left leg yesterday.
A 21-YEAR-OLD employee lost his left leg yesterday when he slipped into a machine at a toilet paper manufacturing plant at O’Meara Industrial Estate in Arima.
After spending 90 minutes trapped in the machine, operator Anand Parag of Biche was freed after fire officials from the Arima Fire… Continue
Added by Carlstien on January 8, 2010 at 22:22 —
Folks remember there is not such thing as an "accidental gun discharge"
Policeman in court over gun blunder
United Kingdom - Posted Tue, 09 Jun 2009
A police firearms instructors and his chief constable are due to appear in court charged with health and safety breaches after a civilian was accidentally shot through the stomach.
Control room worker Keith Tilbury was in a classroom with 10 colleagues at Thames Valley Police headquarters in Kidlington,… Continue
Added by Carlstien on June 16, 2009 at 22:02 —
Migrant worker electrocuted after firm ignored power-line warning - Safety & Health Practitioner - 04/06/2009
A Polish agricultural worker was electrocuted after metal poles he was carrying came into contact with overhead power lines.
Gerard Faltynowski, 26, was working as part of the ‘tunnel squad’ for a soft fruit farming company in July 2006. He and 11 other migrant workers were erecting a polytunnel on farm land near Blairgowrie,… Continue
Added by Carlstien on June 10, 2009 at 13:33 —
We have URGENT job opportunities for safety officers and managers. Interested
candidates may consider the following requirements:
Job title 3 SAFETY OFFICERS
Experience 5 years experience in the field of safety
Should not be over 50 years old. The ideal candidate
should possess relevant professional/industry
qualifications. Experience in the construction industry is
preferable. Relevant certifications will be a plus.… Continue
Added by Carlstien on June 3, 2009 at 1:16 —
IOSH Article - Best practice: managing asbestos
The UK now has the highest death rate from mesothelioma in the world. This shocking statistic was revealed in a recent HSE report showing that mesothelioma killed 1,740 men and 316 women in the UK in 2006. In this feature, Connect reminds readers what they need to do if they’re involved in managing buildings.
What is asbestos?
The three most common types of asbestos usually found in buildings are chrysotile (white),… Continue
Added by Carlstien on June 2, 2009 at 2:46 —
Folks remember all things are poisons. Think about dosage by time.
Toddler dies from drinking hairspray
Trinidad Express - South Bureau
Tuesday, May 12th 2009
A curious toddler who unscrewed a cover and drank from a bottle of hairspray died at the San Fernando General Hospital last week.
Little Tyrique Scipio was playing with the bottle in a bedroom at his mother's home at Emerald Drive, Couva, when he drank the liquid last Wednesday.… Continue
Added by Carlstien on May 13, 2009 at 0:01 —
First prosecution under new corporate manslaughter legislation announced 24/04/2009 - Article from UK safety & Health.
A Cotswolds firm and one of its directors will be the first to be prosecuted under the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007 (CMA), the Crown Prosecution Service has announced.
The CPS has authorised a charge of corporate manslaughter against Cotswold Geotechnical Holdings Ltd, of Birdlip in Gloucestershire, in relation to the death of… Continue
Added by Carlstien on April 29, 2009 at 0:42 —
I have seen this in Trinidad & Tobago where the immigrant chinese workers sleep in overcrowded cramped construction sites sheds.
A construction contractor put the safety of five Polish workers at risk by allowing them to sleep on a site with flammable materials present, a court heard.
Principal contractor, Asaad Al-Helu was undertaking construction work at a site in Hull. The premises contained flammable materials, such as wood and rubbish, and an unsafe electrical… Continue
Added by Carlstien on April 8, 2009 at 4:28 —
Girl Drinks Hydrochloric Acid
by Associated Press
Published: February 19 2009 - 9:46 am Last Updated: February 19 2009 - 4:50 pm
WEAVER, Ala. (AP) - An 11-year-old Calhoun County girl is listed
in critical condition today after picking up a soda bottle while
playing outside her home and drinking a liquid that turned out to
be hydrochloric acid used to make methamphetamine.
Weaver police said meth labs were found Wednesday in a nearby
camper where… Continue
Added by Carlstien on February 20, 2009 at 23:47 —
Added by Carlstien on November 1, 2008 at 6:56 —
Added by Carlstien on November 1, 2008 at 6:53 —
Added by Carlstien on November 1, 2008 at 6:51 —
Added by Carlstien on November 1, 2008 at 6:44 —
Added by Carlstien on November 1, 2008 at 6:38 —
Added by Carlstien on November 1, 2008 at 6:19 —
By Patricia Resende
October 2, 2008 12:56PM
Text messaging may have claimed the lives of 25 people, while injuring 135, investigators say. Robert Sanchez, the driver of a Los Angeles Metrolink commuter train that crashed head-on with a freight locomotive, may have been text messaging seconds before the fatal crash, according to subpoenaed reports from Verizon Wireless. Records show the driver had received a text at 4:21.03 p.m. and sent a text at 4:22.01 p.m. The two trains… Continue
Added by Carlstien on October 6, 2008 at 16:57 —